The Task of Finding the Right Shampoo and Conditioner Set

What's your wash routine? How often do you wash your hair? What products do you use? 

Washing your hair is very important, and I'll tell you why. We have hair follicles that need to be awaken to continue functioning and promoting hair growth. That means we need products to help clean our scalp while we massage it and wake up our nervous system to encourage it's work. When you're washing your hair, there are few things you should consider such as the harsh chemicals used in the shampoos and conditioners. Will it make your hair brittle or feeling great after your wash session? Will it help your split ends or further harm them? Is it tested with animals? Because see I can't do products that are animal tested. I know shampoos have a history of acting harsh to your hair, further damaging it and not being very helpful to the scalp. These days, the competition is high with many brands perfecting their products to give you the care you need. There are even shampoos that add certain vitamins to help with the outside of your hair care. (I totally hope I'm making sense)

I personally use Dove shampoo and conditioner, it's absolutely amazing for my loc journey. My scalp feels great after a wash, I have little to no dandruff after my wash, and my hair smells wonderful. I use two kinds of shampoo from Dove, it's the cocoanut and hydration as well as the thickness recovery and anti-dandruff shampoo. It's not too harsh and moisturizes my scalp keeping it feeling fresh. I'm a person who suffers from Seborrheic dermatitis, so it's important for me to treat my scalp, wash regularly, every two weeks in the winter, and roughly every week in the summer to keep my scalp clean without further irritation. I also use oils (and rose water) to hydrate my scalp, I take vitamin D, and Biotin vitamins, and I drink a lot of water. I used to wash my hair with Head and Shoulders. Now while it was good for controlling and even completely eliminating dandruff, it was very rough on my scalp. It burned my scalp so badly, I dreaded my washing sessions. It left my locs so dry I needed to oil my hair every night. Yes, you've read that right, every night. I immediately switched to Dove. 

Currently, my wash sessions are quite lengthy. For wash days where I'm not retwisting my locs, I first do a rice rinse. I boil my rice (preferably Jasmine rice from the farmers market, imported from Thailand). I add black caster oil, the lavender kind for added shine and great smell. After it boils, I don't actually cook the rice, I let it boil enough to have the rice nutrients in the water, (you'll see it, if you try this). I then turn the fire off and allow the rice rinse to cool down before I begin adding it to containers to set in overnight. The next day, I drain the rice from the containers, saving the water only, then I pour the rice rinse over my entire head and put my shower cap on to let it set for a half hour. I wash my hair during my showering sessions as it's easier to wash, I rinse my hair after 30 minutes and begin adding my shampoo washing and massaging my roots first and then I work my way down to the end of my locs. I use the anti-dandruff first, rinse, and then I apply the cocoanut and hydration shampoo. I thoroughly rinse the shampoo out, further applying the cocoanut conditioner from roots to ends before thoroughly rinsing out. That's just a little tip for hair care in case you want to try it.

I also just read that it's also important for us to wash our hair so that we are washing away pollution. Pollution is one of many causes of hair loss (this includes cigarette smoking). I did not know that, but it's certainly good to know now. So just know, that your scalp isn't the only area that should be washed, your ends count as well!

But I say all of that to say, if you're looking for shampoo and conditioner that may work best for you, but you're not sure where to start, here's a shorter list I've put together based on information I've collected. 

Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner from Bellisso (Biotin is good for the inside and out. It has a history of promoting healthy hair.)

Pure Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner (Argan oil is known to promote shine and strength so I highly recommend this. I use Argan oil any chance I get, very hard to find in local beauty supply stores. This one is definitely worth trying.)

First Botany Tree Tea Shampoo & Conditioner (Tree tea oil is actually really good! I used it for many years on my hair and skin and honestly, I'm looking to by the oil very soon, this one is also hard to find locally.)

Pura D'Or Anti-Thinning Shampoo & Conditioner (Honest opinion, I don't necessarily believe shampoo can repair or reverse thinning, however, it may prevent further thinning. Though, I have read that certain products are being developed to help repair or reverse hair damage so this may be one of them that doctors have been raving about. Given the reviews, it's certainly worth a try.)

Argan Oil Shampoo, Conditioner, & Morgina Oil by CHI  (Now see, I just talked about Argan oil and look what I found! LOL. I just HAD to put this one on the list.)

There are many shampoos and conditioner brands to consider when you're making a choice, but what's the harm in getting a bit of guidance from someone who may be able to help? I hope you've found a few of these selections helpful and even if you don't pick any of these products, don't be shy! Comment below and tell me your experience with shampoos and conditioners. What works for you? Let me know! 

Thanks for reading! Cheers to living healthier and happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help! I'm Losing My Hair! What Should I Do?

Hair loss can be extremely difficult to deal with and be the main cause for a huge hit to self-confidence. If you feel like your hair is com...